The Judith Svalander School of Ballet is committed to providing the safest environment possible as we reopen our doors for the beginning of our academic school yet. We will continue to monitor the latest news and guidelines about COVID-19. With the health and safety of our dancers and faculty as our priority, the following protocols and guidelines are mandatory for all dancers, parents, and faculty.
Updated 5/1/2021: All policies and guidelines, including travel policies will be updated following the CDC guidelines and recommendations and will be changed as needed.
JSSB Building Health & Safety:
1. The lobby area is closed to parents, caregivers & siblings. Young dancers will be checked in at the door.
2. The dressing rooms are off limits. Dancers will enter the building and go directly to their studio.
3. Dancers will only bring the items they need into the building. (see suggestions below)
4. The office staff will have emergency contact information for each dancer and will be available for answering phone calls, e-mails and passing along messages to your dancers.
5. The building surface areas and restrooms will be cleaned multiple times during the day.
6. Ballet barres will be cleaned before and after classes. The studio will provide wipes and sanitizer spray to ensure all areas are kept as clean as possible.
7. Hand sanitizer will be available, and its use encouraged throughout the day.
8. Studios will be marked to ensure proper social distancing, which teachers will monitor.
9. All dancers and faculty will be required to wear a face mask at all times.
10. To allow for proper sanitizing and cleaning between groups, we have time scheduled between different levels to clean the studios. We have also staggered class start times to limit the amount of people in the lobby.
11. Everyone entering the building will have their temperature checked and be required to use hand sanitizer. If an individual has a temperature greater than 100.4 the individual must go home, monitor symptoms and contact a physician.
12. Any dancer who is called out sick with any symptoms of COVID-19 must visit their primary care physician or Immediate care doctor and provide a doctor’s note saying they are well and it is safe to return to the studio.
13. If a dancer or staff member is diagnosed with COVID-19, they need a clearance note from their doctor to return to the studio.
14. If a student is asked to stay home from school due to possible exposure, we would require the student to stay home from dance as well. We do not want to risk any possible exposure to the students or staff members at the studio.
15. After traveling to a state with a positivity rate higher than 10 per 100,000 you must remain home for 10 days. See https://globalepidemics.org for latest information. Dancers may choose to get tested 3-5 days after they return home and can come back into the studio after 7 days with a negative COVID-19 test.
16. Dancers do NOT need to get tested or self-quarantine if they are fully vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19 in the past 3 months. You should still follow all other travel recommendations (wear masks while traveling and in all public places when you can’t maintain your distance etc.)
17. If at any time it becomes unsafe to continue in studio classes, classes may be revised to continue on ZOOM.
18. If, for everyone’s safety, we return to all ZOOM classes, there will be no refunds issued.
19. Due to limited space, we are not able to offer make-up classes.
JSSB Dancer Health & Safety:
1. Dancers may not arrive earlier than 10 minutes before class. They must come dressed and ready for class with their hair done.
2. All dancers are required to have face masks for class. These masks can be disposable or reusable. Dancers who have multiple classes a day may want to bring several masks with them.
3. Dancers are asked to bring only a small bag with their essential items for the day. (see suggestions below) These bags will be kept under your spot at the barre. Creative Dance students will not need additional items but can bring a water bottle if they choose.
4. Dancers are required to practice social distancing in the studio at all times and encouraged to limit exposure outside of the home to essential needs such as groceries, healthcare etc.
5. Dancers must clean all dancewear and masks each day.
6. It is important for dancers to keep up on their daily hygiene. All grooming including trimming of nails is done at home.
7. Anything that a dancer brings into the studio must leave with them.
8. Dancers must bring their own water bottle(s) and are encouraged to bring enough for their duration of classes.
What to bring in your small essential dance bag Level I & Up:
Dance Shoes & Dance Skirts – only the ones needed for that day
Additional Face Masks
Band-Aids, Safety Pins, Kleenex etc.
Travel size hand sanitizer or hand wipes
Additional hair accessories
Small bag to put any trash or dirty items in. (dirty masks, used Kleenex etc.)
DO NOT SEND YOUR DANCER TO THE STUDIO IF YOU ANSWER YES TO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
Is your dancer or any member of your family experiencing any of the following symptoms: fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting or diarrhea?
Have you or your dancer been in contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19?
Has your dancer or any member of your family received a positive COVID-19 test within the last 14 days?
Is your dancer or any member of your family awaiting test results from a COVID-19 test?
Have you traveled out of state within the last 10 days?